Saturday, July 5, 2008

Training Arms - Bicep Tricep Workout Routine

I haven’t worked out in a few days because I’ve just been so busy with my work. But I don’t really mind too much, especially now where I’m coming off a contest diet and basically taking some active recovery time in the gym.

The way I’m going to be doing my workouts for the next little while is stopping at 6 reps for every set. And I’ll work up to 2 heavy sets per exercise.

If the weight feels light and I can complete all 6 reps with good form I’ll up the weight by 5 lbs. for my next workout and just keep progressing in that fashion. I’m just starting off easy with it for now, but those small 5 lbs. jumps in weight will add up pretty quickly over the next several weeks.

Today I trained biceps, triceps, and then did some hand gripper training for my forearms.

I’m using a lot of machine exercises with my arm workouts because I’ve got some tendonitis in my left elbow that really hurts when I do free weight dumbbell curls, barbell curls, etc. So I’m going to try and work around it with more machine exercises, as I find them easier on the joints.

This is what I did for my arm workout…
Each exercise is proceeded with 1-2 warm up sets as needed.

Life Fitness Preacher Curl Machine
2 sets of 6 reps with 90 lbs.

Hammer Strength Tricep Extensions
2 sets of 6 reps with 120 lbs.

Standing Cable Curls
2 sets of 6 reps with 120 lbs.

Hammer Strength Dip Machine
2 sets of 6 reps with 225 lbs.

Hammer Strength Seated Bicep Curls
2 sets of 6 reps with 120 lbs.

1 Arm Overhead Dumbbell Extensions
2 sets of 6 reps with 35 lbs.

Then I finished off with some hand gripper work and push ups.

I took my digital camera with me to the gym and took some video of each exercise and made a little workout video clip below…

You'll have to ignore the friggen music in the back ground... The gym that I train at has a sponsorship deal with the local classic rock station so they keep playing all the oldies... I personally just phase out and don't even pay attention to it anymore, but it is really noticeable on the video.

2 comments:

  1. if u go on so much about over training surely this is almost if not over kill for your arms?

    Dont6 mean to sound disrespectful or anything, I’m a great fan of the website n love bodybuilding n really i spose this is almost asking if this volume is alright?? i train bi's wid back n tri's with chest (b+b twice a week n chest n tris once cos they pretty much blew up as soon as i looked at a weight) n i do 4 sets for arms at the end of each workout??

    lol kinda a long comment!

    keep trainig namn

    write back

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you add up the total volume, you are actually doing more sets for your arms then I am.

    I’m training biceps and triceps with 6 sets for each muscle group once a week. You are currently training doing 4 sets twice a week, a total of 8 sets per week.

    But all that really matters is that you are making progress. If you are making gains with your workout routine then you are not over training.

    And just for the record doing 6 sets or 8 sets per week is not high volume. Heck back in the “Pumping Iron” days doing 20 sets per bodypart twice per week was the norm.

    ReplyDelete